Thursday, September 13, 2012

Best Friend Songs

I've recently come to the discovery that best friend songs are much more common than you would think. They just tend to be disguised as love songs.

Two of my favorite?

I have no idea who Keri is by the way...but sure, happy birthday.  

I set out on a narrow way many years ago, 
hoping I would find true love along the broken road. 
But, I got lost a time or two...wiped my brow, and kept pushin' through.
I couldn't see how every sign pointed straight to you. 
Every long lost dream, 
led me to where you are.
Others who broke my heart, they were like northern stars pointing me on my way,
into your loving arms. 
This much I know is true--that God blessed the broken road that led me straight to you. 
I think about the years I spent just passin' through.
I'd like to have the time I lost and give it back to you.
But, you just smile and take my hand;
You've been there, you understand.
It's all part of a grander plan that is coming true.

This much I know is true--that God blessed the broken road that led me straight to you. 



I know the lyrics are on the screen...but I don't care. I'm typing them out for emphasis. Deal with it. 

When I look into your eyes,
it's like watching the night sky...or a beautiful sunrise.
There's so much they hold.
And just like them old stars,
I see that you've come so far to be right where you are.
How old is your soul?
I won't give up on us--even if the skies get rough.
I'm giving you all my love,
I'm still looking up.
And when you're needing your space
to do some navigating
I'll be here patiently waiting to see what they find.  
'Cause even the stars, they burn.
Some even fall to the earth.
We got a lot to learn;
God knows we're worth it.
No, I won't give up.

I don't want to be someone who walks away so easily,
I'm here to stay and make the difference that I can make.
Our differences they do a lot to teach us how to use the tools and gifts we got...
Yeah, we got a lot at stake. 
And in the end, you're still my friend,
At least we did intend for us to work. 
We didn't break, we didn't burn.
We had to learn how to bend without the world caving in.
I had to learn what I got and what I'm not and who I am. 

I won't give up on us,
God knows I'm tough.
He knows we got a lot to learn...
God knows we're worth it. 




I realize that having these songs described as "best friend" songs truly might sound peculiar. Yeah, I am a weirdo, but it's also a best friend thing. Sometimes lyrics were molded for purposes they  never imagined. This is one of those cases, because they are simply perfect. No, these songs don't necessarily fit every best friendship...and they're not supposed to. They fit mine though. I could not have asked for a better best friend. She is truly one of the most phenomenal people in the whole world and I'm so lucky to have her in my life. "It's incredible that someone so unforgettable could think that I am unforgettable, too." 

No comments:

Post a Comment